Friday, November 19, 2010

javaScript tips and hints

I'm going to start writing my favourite JavaScript techniques here. I get better at what I do by trying to capture and name these technique. I hope they can help you get better at writing JavaScript, even if it's by reacting against my style.

My main focus will be higher-order and meta-programming techniques. I'm particularly interested in how list processing and functional programming style is such a natural fit for JavaScript. I probably won't spend lots of time on object oriented style although it's good to understand how object orientation can help with sharing and structuring code in serious JavaScript based applications.

Also, little and none of this will be written with reference to the DOM. JavaScript is bigger than the DOM with server side and mobile programming becoming important. Writing well engineered JavaScript is bigger than the browser. But writing browser based JavaScript is important and these techniques are still relevant there.

If this type of stuff is interesting to you then I strongly recommend Stoyan Stefanov's book JavaScript Patterns: Build Better Applications with Coding and Design Patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment